Any chance of a *standalone* version of FontSelf?

I know the likely answer to my question is, “No!”

But I have to ask…

Is there even a remote chance that you’ll be creating a standalone version of FontSelf? One that’ll work without any of the Adobe machines?

I bought both the Illustrator and Photoshop versions of FontSelf a while back. But now I’ve weaned myself off the Adobe teat. So I’m stuck without my favourite font making tools.

So… even though I know you’ll probably say no, can’t you just say yes, even if it’s to give me false hope?

Thanks.

Blue skies
Roy

1 Like

Hey Roy,

Super thanks for your suppport :pray:
We never say never…

2 Likes

Yes, Adobe, whilst remaining the (current) industry standard, is, for many, expensive and has some serious rivals, such as the Affinity Serif suite, which now use. It would be good to have either a standalone or Affinity Designer version of this plugin, which, on the whole, does a really good job.

Same here. I cancelled the whole Adobe Suite last year and now I’m left with a plugin I can’t use anymore. I also switched to the Affinity Suite.

Of course, as long as the company behind the Affinity Apps does not share any kind of API for 3rd Party Plugins developers, there won’t be a Fontself Plugin for Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo.

But a standalone Version of FontSelf would be really great and also a viable alternative to Font making apps like Fontlab or glyphsapp who are either very expensive, bloated with too many functions or or are only available for 1 or maximum 2 platforms. There is no real cross-platform alternative. There are apps like FontForge, but let’s be honest, hardly anyone uses that and it looks like it belongs back in the 2000s.

A FontSelf standalone version would be great and it doesn’t have to compete with the big commercial counterparts. Just good enough to create and export high quality (+color) fonts and styles. All those extra, super-duper, precision tools for finishing touches are not needed and can be added later as soon as the user base has reached its certain size.

And even if the standalone version absolutely needs PS and AI files to work with in the beginning, at least that would be a start as well, since apps like Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo can export their files to .ps and .ai formats.

I know the common answer is “no plans yet, but never say never”. It’s neither a commitment nor a rejection, but here I would also encourage you for economic reasons to think about developing a cross-platform standalone version from your plugin. This would also make you more independent from software giants. Many software companies and developers have often made this mistake in the past, and were sherlocked by Apple, for example. Who knows if Adobe will go so far as to contractually obligate developers of plugins to develop them exclusively for Adobe (or parts thereof).

You are not obligated to do anything and it is also your right to have your own roadmap.

Just wanted to point out, because just in these times, in which companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, increasingly invade the privacy of people and disregard them, more and more people long (just also noticeable since the corona pandemic) for alternatives.

You only need to look in the forums of various (creative) apps. More and more users are demanding an alternative for Linux or Android… So far, the companies always argue with “too low user numbers in X or Y operating systems”, but neglect the large number of users willing to switch.

The same goes for Fontself. Make your plugin more accessible to a wide range of typographers, graphic designers, & co.

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say