Custom Bullet Character Naming

I’ve seen similar threads that don’t specifically address what I’m looking for, so here goes:

I’ve created some custom characters that I want to use as bullet symbols, but I don’t know what to name them in the text box below so that they are identified/usable in InDesign as bullets, or for that matter how to label them at all, since they’re custom art and don’t have any Unicode or ASCII character equivalent. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I’ve been puzzled by this for quite a while so time to reach out.

What to do?

1 Like

Hello, you will have to name them like regular characters (a, b, c, 1, 2, 3 …).
That’s exactly, what other similar fonts are done.
You will find the right sign in the Glyphs-palette in InDesign.

Greetz Hybi

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I’m not sure I completely understand though. Clearly I don’t want to name it with the same name as another glyph. However, when I don’t name it at all, it shows up in the Glyphs palette in InDesign anyway, so maybe I don’t need to name it at all…

Thanks again,
Steve

1 Like

@StartGuides By default each new glyph in Fontself is assigned with a unique Unicode name, which is hidden in plain sight (!?). The square boxes below each glyph are actually unique character keys - from the Private Use Area (PUA) character list and which you can copy/paste in other apps like InDesign to retrieve the exact same glyph.

In the example below, it’s the and you can even view the exact Unicode value +UE900 from the bottom left options:

1 Like