How can I create a 3 layer font?

I’m trying to figure out how to make a 3 layer font. One where I can change the colors on each layer, but I can’t seem to match them perfectly. This is a sample of what I’m trying to do, but can’t get the kerning to line up with the other layers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey @AloZic,

Indeed, it’s not really easy for now with Fontself Maker to work on a 3-layer font and get adjusted spacing and kerning between layers. I think you may have 2 options to consider:

1/ Turn your 3-layer font into a family of color fonts with your different color variations. Ok, ok, you have to create the different colored vesions and import them :sweat:. BUT: if you name your objects, you make your glyphs import easier. And once you have spaced & kerned one font, you can import & apply theses metrics to the others.

2/ Switch to Glyphs app. It seems to be doable but not so simple: https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/creating-a-layered-color-font

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Hello Mohamed,

YES! I saw that same tutorial yesterday. I’m very persistent and will keep trying to get it right. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t missing or skipping anything.

Thank you for advice.

Thank you for the link. I was creating 3 layered fonts and wondering the same thing. :slight_smile:

At the end? How you resolved it? i have the same problem, but don’t have a mac to download Glyphs app .-.