Im having trouble printing

Hi there, this is my first time posting.

I recently made my first font with fontself and im trying to print out my work, however when i print its all garbled and horrendous, it doesn’t even look like text. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so how did you fix it.

Thanks

Jason

Hey Jason,

Never seen that before, and I know its not what you wanted, but that looks like such a cool print to get framed :smiley:

Anyway, I’m not sure how much help I can be but if you can post a little more info maybe we can collectively figure it out.

Can you tell us what software you used to set up the print file, what the final file format (pdf, ai etc) and what type of font you used/created, (was it a vector font, or a bitmap font?) If you could also maybe post a screen shot showing a sample of what it should look like it might be useful too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi twin brush, thanks for looking at my post.

Im still lost with this with no solution yet, so I will answer your questions one by one and we’ll see if that helps.

OS - Mac OS 10.15.3
setup file - I’ve used both AI and MS Word (both are latest versions)
output files - I’ve tried printing from AI, Word and Acrobat, Preview and Safari, as .ai, .doc, and .pdf
it is a vector font

the font was made to simulate a the small thermal printers inside an aircraft cockpit, I have attached a screenshot so you can see what its supposed to look like. I can’t supply the font as I’m a new user and forums are blocking me from uploading it.

cheers
Jay

1 Like

Thanks Jay, could you please send the font file and the AI / PDF document that you print to hello@fontself.com so we can have a closer look?

1 Like

Hi Jay,

No worries. That’s really strange that you’d be getting issues trying from so many formats. I’m afraid that’s way beyond my realm of knowledge. I’d do as Franz mentioned above there, those guys are font wizards! Hopefully you get to the bottom of it, I’d be interested to hear what’s causing that issue!

Excellent font by the way!

1 Like

Wow, im only a year late - so, i figured out a couple of things.

Firstly, the font printed fine on my own printer but still doesnt print on my printer at work - what ive figured out is that im using a generic print driver for the work printer due to account management profiles.

Secondly, due to the print driver issues the workaround for the work printer was to convert the fonts to outlines in the preflight actions of acrobat.

So a belated thank you for all your help.

Jay

2 Likes