Loading issues of characters

Hello the community, sorry if this topic is already open somewhere.

When using our created font, loading issues come up in various programs like Word.
Specialy characters like: j i y
don’t appear till you zoom in and out of the page.

Is that a known issue and is there a solution to it ?.

Greetings Mathias

Hello Mathias,

please give me more information like you operating system (mac 10.x, 11.x or win 10.x)
is you font a color one or monochrome (black), a vector or bitmap font?

Greetings, Jens.

Hey thank you for your time.
So my operating system is macOS Big Sur 11.4
The font I want to create is a monochrome and vectorized in Ai.

for an example of the issues I have, have a look at the following pictures

Everything is okay on illustrator and fontself, but since I export the font in OTF and uses it in Microsoft word for exemple, that issue come up.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the information and here are the solution:

In WORD, letters like to be cut off if they were not created for the (tight) line spacing. See above font A1test (red).
The second example is almost the same font created with Fontself in AI, however I used a second auxiliary line (Ascender) which defines the upper limit of the letters. This font also works in WORD without problems (font A2test, green).

Awesome, this works perfectly !!!

Can I ask you a last thing ? I did an alternate glyph of “q” when you press “qq” our logo appears.
Everything works on Ai, but again on word this doesn’t work. Any idea ?

thanks so much

Hello mathias,
an alternative is the same letter in a different form as “a” and “ɑ” (a.alt). An alternate must be manually selected by the user.
I think you mean a ligature. Then a different symbol is automatically created from a string. (In your case it is qq.liga in Fontself). To make this automatic, this option must also be activated in the writing program.

WORD: OpenType ligatures aren’t enabled by default, though.
To enable OpenType ligatures, right-click on some text, select Font, select the Advanced tab, and select Standard Only from the Ligatures combo box. This enables the standard ligatures, like fi and ffi.

Greetings, Jens.

P.S. If you are interested in European special characters, I wrote a long article about it. It is also a basis for creating fonts that should have more than just 2 x 26 letters: http://www.computergrafik-know-how.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/A048-FD-European_Special_Characters_opt.pdf