Quotation marks before/after

Hey!

I’m wondering how to link together the quotation marks if i want to use the one before the actual qoute at the bottom of the line and the one after the qoute at the top automaticly, without typing anything differently?

I’d just get started with Fontself, I love it, it’s very handy, and I think I understand it for the most part, but that feature I couldn’t find anywhere.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello,

if I understand you right, this behavior has to be setup in your layout-app.
Fontself isn’t scriptable yet - and may be not for a while to go …

Greetz Hybi

2 Likes

First, make sure that you have created each of these specific quotation marks, as detailed here: https://help.fontself.com/making-fonts/create-accents-symbols-punctuation

Then, you might have to switch how quotes are displayed by default in your design app (often called Smart Quotes): https://help.fontself.com/making-fonts/quotation-marks-and-apostrophe

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you guys,

I’m already tried these, and I’m not sure about the result.
I could set one of them as an alternate, but in this case it doesn’t go automaticly during texting, by using the same combination of buttons [shift+2 by default], or at least it can’t be displayed in the preview window [i did’nt test the completed font yet, I wanted to fix this first].

The process is clear, all the other letters and symbols found there places for the first click. I’m hungarian, so I have a bunch of additional characters to the alphabet, and since, I found out about this type of qoutes is also a hungarian thing, we use the bottom marks first and the top marks after. It’s not a deal breaker, I can make my peace with using just the top versions, but I wanted to be at least sure if it’s can’t be done.

I also tried to find a video tutorial, to see how it goes step by step, but I couldn’t.

Thank you anyway!!

1 Like

I’m brand-new to Fontself, too, and also wondering about how “smart quotes” or curly quotes would work.

I can create curly quotes all day long in Illustrator and install them, but they will not work as desired in a word-processing program. For example, simply typing SHIFT+" for the open quote at the start of a phrase and SHIFT+" for the closed quote at the end of a phrase does not work. (I’m probably misunderstanding how to use Fontself and completely doing things incorrectly, which is a distinct possibility since I’m so new.)

Now, I’ve taken great pains to follow the lovely step-by-step walk-through here, but I’m still not getting the desired result.

Any insights would be really appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hello KTS and welcome to this forum.

Here a brief explanation of the typographical inverted commas (quotes)

1. when computers were still young, there was only the coding "ASCII-7" for texts and in this code there were only the even inverted commas <2>. These are still used today in programming. In CSS, for example, one writes width="100px".

2. With the introduction of desktop publishing (DTP), character sets became richer and more characters were available thanks to ASCII-8. Thus came the typographical inverted commas known from novels. There are different characters like » « “ „ ‘ ‚ and so on. They are used differently in each language to indicate, for example, literal speech in a novel.

3. Writing programmes such as WORD were the first to relieve the user of the work of worrying about the ‘correct’ inverted comma. At the beginning of a word, a <2> is automatically converted into the opening inverted comma and at the end of the word into the closing inverted comma. Which characters are used depends on the settings (depending on the language).

4. In order for a new character set to show the typographical inverted commas, they must be created. If these are missing, a substitute character is shown and this is the straight inverted comma. Franz has explained how to create the typographic quotation marks in Fontself in his tutorial https://help.fontself.com/en/articles/902115-quotation-marks-and-apostrophe and https://help.fontself.com/en/articles/889331-create-accents-symbols-punctuation.

5. Today, most writing, layout and graphics programmes have the ability to display typographic inverted commas. In all programmes, this ability is set differently or deactivated.
    In Adobe ILLUSTRATOR CC 2020, 2021 it works like this:
    A. Go to the menu File > Document Setup …
    B. In the new window go to “Type”. There you will find all the settings for the quotes and you can also switch them off completely.

For other programmes such as InDesign, it is best to search for “Quotes” in the help or read the manual.

Good luck, Jens.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Jens for the details, which summarizes a challenging matter: it’s not just about creating the exact glyph for each quotation mark in the font file, but also about enabling them the way you intend into the app where fonts are used. :pray:

1 Like