"Smart kerning" option stays loading and it never ends

Hi there! I’m having this issue whith the Smart Kerning option. I don’t know how long do I have to wait. I left it for hours but never finished.

1 Like

Hello tomy, wellcome to this forum.

Please use the menu command “send a bug” inside of fontself maker. Tell them the problem and what your operating system is.

good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you! I solved by closing Adobe Illustrator and opening it again.

2 Likes

Hey there. I have exactly the same issue when I click the smart button…
Did somebody find any solution to that problem ?

1 Like

Hi! I restart the program Adobe Illustrator and tried again putting another number in the Smart kerning option. When trying with 80 for example it did’t work but when I puto 75 it did work!

1 Like

Thanks @tomycastiglioni. I tried different values, but it is always the same problem…
@franz was thinking that my issue came from a big amount of anchor points, but my letters are not complex at all…
So I’m still stuck :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Hey all, this freeze can actually happen when there are lots of shape variants in a design, which blows the maximum amount of kerning pairs (above 12k).

​To solve this you should try using the Smart feature manually on fewer characters: first use Smart in the Advanced > Spacing view to set the side bearings automatically, and then in Kerning view, use Smart but only on a subset of characters, like just the Uppercase and Lowercase, or apply it the select glyphs (you can view them all when loading a new font in the Live Preview, and paste them in the Kerning preview to force Smart calculations on that text selection).

2 Likes

Thanks @franz. I try that.
It seems that and don’t have the same window as you. As you can see my only choice is “Smart Space”

Do I have to upgrade my plugin ?

1 Like

It worked @franz ! :smiley:

2 Likes

@Art_Grootfontein This screen is the Smart feature related to spacing values only - just click on the Kerning button at the top of the screen to access the Kerning view:

1 Like