Uppercase font showing fallback font in illustrator

Hi There,

I have created a font in illustrator with only uppercase letters. I read that the lowercase should automatically be substituted with uppercase but when I install and try the font out in illustrator this doesn’t happen and a fallback font appears.

Is there something else I need to do to ensure this does’t happen?

Oh, and I am aware that this shouldn’t show in the preview but I am looking at the installed font in illustrator.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi, first check that you have no duplicate font with an older version (see https://help.fontself.com/en/articles/915125-install-vs-save-export-fonts)

And also mind that the German character estzet ß is detected as a lowercase letter - knowing that any lowercase letter currently disables the automated substitution.

1 Like

Aha. I have a ß character. Should I just assign it like I would a swoosh?

Thanks for the fast reply!!

1 Like

You could, and we will try to detect this to avoid such confusion in the future :wink:

1 Like

I deleted the ß completely and don’t have a duplicate fonts… I deleted all installed versions and still have the same issue. Are there any other accented characters or so that could be disabling the automated substitution?

1 Like

Only lowercase letters. Check if you have any other from the bottom left filtering view:

2 Likes

That was it. Thank you again for great help!!

1 Like